Understanding fertility success rates is easier with a little background information
When you’re trying to learn more about your chance of conceiving, it can feel like you’re swimming in a sea of numbers of percentages. So, what does it all mean for you? If you’re having trouble understanding fertility success rates, our Las Vegas fertility specialists can help.
To get information that’s tailored to you and your unique situation, we recommend scheduling an appointment with one of our doctors. However, if you’re just looking for some general guidance, this page is a great place to start.
You need to know where you’re starting when understanding fertility success rates
Before you start looking at the success rates of different fertility treatments, it’s helpful to know a bit about natural fertility rates.
- For a couple with no fertility issues and a female partner who is around age 30, there is about a 20% chance of conceiving each month.
- However, there is just a 5% chance each month when the female partner is age 40. This is because female fertility naturally declines with age.
When you’re understanding fertility success rates, it’s valuable to know the chance of conceiving based on age. However, it’s also helpful to know your likelihood of conceiving based on how long you’ve been trying. Keep in mind that the following information is based on couples where the female partner is under age 35.
- Most couples will conceive within six months of having unprotected sex.
- 50% of couples will conceive within three months of trying.
- After six months of trying, 75% of couples will be pregnant.
- Finally, 82% of couples will be expecting after trying for one year.
However, couples who have been trying for longer than a year without success have a much lower chance of conceiving. In fact, it’s just 1-3% each month. This just highlights how important it is to know when to see a fertility specialist.
It’s time to look at your chance of conceiving with different treatments
Now that you know a bit about the chances of conceiving naturally, let’s dive into the fertility treatment success rates. For couples where the female partner is under age 35 with no tubal blockages and there are no sperm issues in the male partner, you can expect the following success rates.
- When taking oral fertility medications, there is an 8-10% chance of conceiving each month.
- Patients taking oral fertility medications and doing intrauterine insemination (IUI) have a 12-15% chance of seeing a positive pregnancy test each month.
- The likelihood of conceiving jumps to 55-65% each month when using in vitro fertilization (IVF) and embryo transfer without genetic testing on the embryos.
- By adding preimplantation genetic testing (PGT) to an IVF cycle, the number jumps to 72% per embryo transfer.
Our Las Vegas fertility specialists understand these success rates inside and out, and they also know the latest science in the field of reproductive medicine. Their job is to help you with understanding fertility success rates and translate all the scientific information to help you make the best decisions to reach your family-building goals.
If you’d like to learn more about fertility treatments and which one might be right for you, contact us to schedule an appointment.