Fertility Tests for Women Provide Answers
If you’ve been actively trying to conceive naturally for one year, or you’re 35 or older and have been trying to conceive for six months, it’s time to make an appointment with a reproductive endocrinologist. A fertility expert in Las Vegas can perform a series of fertility tests for women to find out why you’re having trouble conceiving naturally, so you can get the treatment you need to have a baby.
A complete fertility workup with one of our Nevada fertility specialists includes both the woman and her partner, and typically begins with the least-invasive tests designed to detect the most common causes of infertility. We customize each woman’s fertility testing to her specific circumstances, taking the fastest and most effective approach to get answers for our patients and their partners.
Common Fertility Tests for Women
Your fertility specialist will begin by documenting your medical and sexual history, asking about your menstrual cycles, previous pregnancies, birth control use, surgeries, sexually transmitted diseases, lifestyle and any other health concerns that could have an impact on your ability to conceive.
Then, your physician will perform a physical exam and order specific tests designed to evaluate your ability to ovulate as well as your reproductive organs – including your cervix, endometrium, ovaries, uterus, fallopian tubes and abdominal cavity.
Common fertility tests for women include:
- Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) – This X-ray of your reproductive organs uses contrast media to determine if the uterus is normally shaped and the fallopian tubes are free of blockages.
- Transvaginal ultrasound – In this exam, an ultrasound probe is placed inside the vagina to examine the uterus and ovaries for abnormalities and to count the number of developing follicles, or egg sacs, at a specific point in your menstrual cycle.
- Blood tests – A series of blood tests to check the levels of specific hormones – including follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), antimüllerian hormone (AMH) and estradiol – can indicate ovarian reserve, giving your fertility specialist valuable information about egg quantity and how well you will respond to fertility medications.
Because roughly half of all cases of infertility are due, at least in part, to a male factor, we supplement fertility tests for women with fertility tests for men, including a complete semen analysis. These tests reveal information about how many sperm are present and whether they are correctly shaped and able to move appropriately.
If these initial tests do not solve the mystery of your inability to conceive, a fertility expert in Las Vegas may also order additional fertility tests for women, such as:
- Additional blood tests to check for thyroid disorders or other problems that can cause infertility, menstrual irregularities or miscarriage
- Sonohysterogram, or a sonogram of the uterus, that involves filling the uterus with saline to look for abnormalities that may cause infertility or miscarriage
- Hysteroscopy, a surgical procedure in which a lighted scope is passed through the cervix to view the inside of the uterus
- Laparoscopy, a surgical procedure that uses a lighted scope to look inside the abdomen for signs of endometriosis, polyps, fibroids or other abnormalities
Contact Us to Get Started
Fertility tests for women help your fertility specialist pinpoint the causes of infertility, so that he or she can develop the most effective treatment plan to help you get pregnant and have a baby.
To get the answers you need, contact us to schedule a consultation with a fertility expert in Las Vegas.