Building families with donor sperm insemination
Our Las Vegas fertility center offers a variety of fertility treatments and options for third-party reproduction, including donor sperm intrauterine insemination (IUI) or donor sperm in vitro fertilization (IVF). This procedure allows individuals and couples in many different situations to achieve their dreams of parenthood and bring home a healthy baby.
Who benefits from the use of donor sperm?
Donor sperm insemination is a versatile procedure that can help many patients, including:
- Single women
- Lesbian couples
- Heterosexual couples with male factor infertility
Any patient who needs a sperm donor to help build their family can benefit from this procedure at our Las Vegas fertility center.
In some cases, a woman may also have female factor infertility, so the team at our Las Vegas fertility center may recommend a more-advanced fertility treatment known as in vitro fertilization (IVF).
How does donor sperm fertilization work?
The first step of donor sperm insemination is selecting a sperm donor. Some hopeful parents find a donor through a sperm bank while others rely on someone they know who is willing to donate this priceless gift.
The team at our Las Vegas fertility center can help patients find a sperm donor and arrange for the shipment and storage of the specimen prior to treatment. We find that it is often easier and faster to select a donor from a sperm bank because the bank has already quarantined and screened the sperm for infectious and genetic illnesses. A known sperm donor must undergo this process before donor sperm insemination can begin.
Regardless of whether a patient selects a known sperm donor or an anonymous one through a sperm bank, the donor sperm insemination process is the same once our Las Vegas fertility center receives the sperm specimen. Patients can expect to go through the following steps:
- Ovarian stimulation requires the woman who will carry the pregnancy to take medication to stimulate the production of multiple follicles, which contain the eggs.
- Monitoring appointments at our Las Vegas fertility center allow one of our fertility specialists to monitor follicular development and determine the right time for insemination.
- Ovulation induction involves giving the female patient an injection of a hormone when her eggs are ready in order to trigger ovulation.
- With IVF treatment, the eggs are first retrieved from the ovaries during an outpatient egg retrieval procedure. They will then be injected with a single sperm through intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI), a process that is designed to promote fertilization. Once the fertilized eggs have grown in the lab, one or two embryos will be transferred to a prepared uterus for implantation.
Proud to make dreams of parenthood come true
Our Las Vegas fertility center offers treatments to help every man and woman who walks through our doors bring home a healthy baby. Contact us to schedule an appointment and learn how our experienced and caring fertility specialists can help you.