A little guidance can help you decide when to see a fertility doctor
You want nothing more than to be a parent, but you keep seeing a negative pregnancy test each month. You could keep trying on your own, or you could reach out to a specialist for help. For many people, making this decision isn’t easy. After all, how do you know when to see a fertility doctor?
Our Las Vegas fertility doctors know that it can be tempting to continue trying to have a baby naturally. However, it’s important to know when to make that first fertility appointment. If you’re wondering if it’s that time for you, we’ve put together some guidance to help.
How do you know when to see a fertility doctor?
We realize that scheduling your first fertility appointment is a big step. Many people feel like they don’t want to do it too soon and miss the chance to conceive on their own. However, time is of the essence when it comes to fertility. As a result, there really isn’t such a thing as making an appointment too soon.
If you need a little help deciding when to see a fertility doctor, you can use these guidelines.
- If you’re under age 35, it’s wise to visit a fertility doctor if you haven’t conceived after having 12 months of unprotected sex.
- Once you reach your 35th birthday, you’ll want to see a fertility specialist if you haven’t conceived after six months of trying. This is because female fertility tends to decline more quickly around age 35.
- If you’re age 40 or over, it’s wise to visit a fertility doctor as soon as you want to start trying. Again, this relates to the age-related decline in female fertility.
Additionally, you’ll want to meet with one of our Las Vegas fertility doctors as soon as you want to start trying for a baby if you have one or more of the following diagnoses.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Fibroids or polyps
- Diminished ovarian reserve (egg supply)
- Irregular periods or no period at all
- Tubal ligation surgery (“tubes tied”)
- Male vasectomy
Your first fertility appointment can help you get on the path to parenthood
It’s important to know when to see a fertility doctor. This type of specialist can identify any roadblocks to conception and then develop a treatment plan to help overcome them.
For example, our Las Vegas fertility doctors will likely recommend medications for ovulation induction to help a patient with PCOS. Without these medications, the patient is unlikely to ovulate on their own. This means that efforts to conceive naturally probably won’t work.
Making that first fertility appointment can help you start making real progress towards your goal of bringing home a healthy baby. Contact us to schedule an appointment and learn more.