Injection Instructions for Glass Vial Medications
1. Wash hands.
2. Pop off tops of liquid and powder vials, to reveal rubber top. Clean rubber
tops with alcohol.
3. Open mixing needle and syringe, and twist needle to tighten.
4. Draw out the appropriate amount of liquid. (.5-1cc/ml, for 1-2 powders,
or 1-2 cc/ml, for 3 or more powders.) This will be used to mix your medications.
Place unused liquid aside. You will not need it.
5. Inject the liquid that you have just drawn out, into the rst powder. Gently roll the
vial to dissolve medication, then draw out ALL of the liquid. If you have more than
one vial of powder to dilute, repeat the process with the same mixture that you
started with. Combine all powders, for one injection. You should have the same amount
of liquid to inject, as you started with.
6. Twist off the needle used for mixing, and replace with the appropriate injection needle.
7. Remove all of the air from the syringe, by facing the needle upwards, and slowly pushing in
the plunger. Tap out any air bubbles that remain.
8. Locate the injection site and clean with alcohol.
9. Pinch or spread the skin with your non-injecting hand.
10. Hold the syringe as you would a dart, and inject into the skin in one quick motion.
(The entire needle should go straight in)
Intramuscular Injections Only
11. Now use your non-injecting hand to stabilize the syringe and hold it steady.
12. Before injecting, pull back slightly on the plunger of the syringe, to check for blood.
If there is blood present in the tip of the syringe, remove the syringe and replace needle.
Find a new injection site.
13. Inject medication slowly. Wait 3 seconds, then pull syringe straight out.
14. Put a gauze square on the injection site and apply small amount of pressure, for approximately
30 seconds, to stop any bleeding that may occur. (No band-aids.)
15. Congratulations, you did it! Remember to switch sides daily.
If you have any questions regarding this information, please call our office at
702-254-1777 or 800-509-7174.