Discover whether you should pursue IVF or tubal reversal to grow your family
Patients often want to know whether they should consider IVF or tubal reversal. Our Las Vegas fertility doctors find that patients tend to be interested in tubal reversal when they first visit The Fertility Center of Las Vegas (FCLV). However, they often change their mind after learning about the effectiveness of in vitro fertilization (IVF).
What to think about when deciding between IVF or tubal reversal
Before the team at FCLV even considers tubal reversal surgery, our doctors want to ensure that everything else about the patient’s health and fertility is perfect. This includes the woman’s age, ovarian and uterine health, general health, and genetics. The health and fertility of the man who will provide the sperm is equally important.
Even if a patient might be a good candidate for tubal reversal, our Las Vegas fertility doctors want patients to understand that many factors can influence the success of the surgery.
- Age and overall fertility of the woman, including whether she ovulates regularly
- The type of tubal ligation surgery, including how much of the fallopian tube remains
- The surgeon’s level of skill in performing tubal ligation surgery
- Whether the woman has scarring from other abdominal surgeries or STIs
Why IVF might be a better option than tubal reversal
As IVF has become more effective, fewer surgeons are performing tubal reversal surgery. As a result, fewer surgeons are learning and keeping up with the latest surgical techniques for this procedure. This means that it may be more difficult to find a surgeon who can successfully perform tubal reversal surgery.
There are also other reasons why IVF might be a better option.
- Tubal reversal surgery is often not covered by insurance.
- This procedure is a major surgery within the pelvic cavity, which does carry risk.
- Ectopic pregnancy is 10% more likely in patients who have had this surgery.
- Tubal reversal surgery can scar over again, and patients will still need to pursue IVF.
- The surgery may be unsuccessful, so patients will need to undergo IVF anyway.
Before making any decisions about which procedure is right for you and your family, our Las Vegas fertility doctors will review your medical history, family-building goals and type of tubal ligation procedure. Your doctor will then discuss the pros and cons of IVF and tubal reversal to help you make the best decision for you.
Contact us for an appointment and learn more about your fertility options. Our team can help you decide whether IVF or tubal reversal is right for your family-building goals.