We’re celebrating the specialists in the IVF lab on World Embryologist Day
When you think of fertility treatments like IVF, fertility doctors often come to mind. However, doctors like our Las Vegas fertility specialists aren’t the only ones who help make parenthood possible. Embryologists in the IVF lab also play an important role, which is why we celebrate World Embryologist Day.
The first IVF baby was born on July 25, 1978. As a result, the field of reproductive medicine has been honoring embryologists on this day ever since. So, what do embryologists do? Read on to learn what embryologists do in the lab to help patients become parents.
A quick look at what embryologists do in the lab
You’ll likely have babysitters look after your child from time to time, but embryologists care for them before they are born. They are responsible for handling and caring for patients’ sperm, eggs and embryos while they are in the lab.
If you’re curious about the specifics of what embryologists do, here is a quick look.
- Examine the eggs after the egg retrieval and prepare them for fertilization or freezing.
- Fertilize eggs using conventional in vitro fertilization or intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI).
- Check for fertilization and monitoring the growth and development of embryos.
- Grade embryos using a microscope or preimplantation genetic testing (PGT).
- Help our Las Vegas fertility doctors select the best embryo to transfer.
- Freeze embryos, eggs and sperm for patients to use later.
- Assist with cycles that use donor sperm, donor eggs or donor embryos.
While much of what embryologists do happens in the lab, they also play an important role in communicating with patients. They will let patients know everything from how many good quality eggs resulted from their egg retrieval to how their embryos are progressing.
The FCLV team proudly celebrates World Embryologist Day
Once patients learn what embryologists do, they realize what an important part of the family-building journey they are. Because these members of the lab team are so vital, our Las Vegas fertility specialists are proud to celebrate World Embryologist Day.
If you would like to schedule an appointment at The Fertility Center of Las Vegas, contact us. Our entire team can’t wait to help you have the healthy family of your dreams.