Selecting a surrogate is a big decision. Learn how you can make sure you’re picking the right woman
You thought that deciding to use a gestational surrogate was a big decision, but now you have to figure out how to select a surrogate. How do you pick the woman who will carry your baby for nine months? The Fertility Center of Las Vegas (FCLV) knows selecting a surrogate can be overwhelming, but don’t worry. Our Las Vegas fertility doctors are here with some tips to help.
Explore tips about how to select a surrogate
When you’re selecting a surrogate, you can think of it as being a bit like an interview. You want to ask questions to find the best candidate to carry and deliver your baby. At the same time, you also need to ask yourself some questions to figure out what you’re looking for in a surrogate.
Questions to ask the surrogate
- Why do you want to be a surrogate?
- Have you been a surrogate before?
- Is there anything concerning in your medical history?
- Did you have complications in your previous pregnancies?
- Are you married? Depending on where you live, it may be easier to obtain your child’s parentage and citizenship if the surrogate is unmarried.
- Do you have health insurance? If not, you can explore getting third party insurance for a surrogate.
- What city and state do you live in? In some states, surrogacy contracts are unenforceable. Surrogacy compensation also varies by state.
Questions to ask yourself
- What type of personalities do you get along with? You’ll be spending some time with your surrogate, so you’ll only want to consider women with personalities that you’ll get along with.
- What type of relationship do you want during the pregnancy? Some intended parents want a lot of contact with their surrogate, but others don’t. Figure out where you stand and select a surrogate with similar wishes and expectations.
- What type of relationship do you want after the pregnancy? Some intended parents want their surrogate to be part of their child’s life. If this is true for you, make sure your surrogate feels the same way.
Whether you’re working with a surrogacy agency or looking for a surrogate on your own, be sure that you know the answers to these questions before matching with a surrogate.
Selecting a surrogate isn’t something you have to do alone
If the thought of choosing a surrogate still seems like too much, you can turn to the FCLV team. Our experienced Las Vegas fertility doctors and staff have been helping our patients conceive using gestational surrogacy for years. You can meet with them to review your unique situation and learn more about how to select a surrogate to help your family.
Are you ready to take the next step and move forward with your surrogacy journey? Our Las Vegas fertility doctors are ready to help you. Contact us to schedule a consultation to learn more about the process and how it can help you start or grow your family.