Get answers to all your embarrassing fertility questions
Do you have embarrassing fertility questions that you’ve been hesitant to ask? Know that our Las Vegas fertility specialists have heard it all. After all, the team at The Fertility Center of Las Vegas (FCLV) provides more than just an Oasis of Hope. We’re also a source of information about fertility and reproduction. Keep reading to see how our doctors answer common questions from our patients and debunk persistent fertility myths.
Answering embarrassing fertility questions and debunking fertility myths
Our Las Vegas fertility specialists are separating fertility myths from fact. Here are the answers to common questions from our patients.
- Can conception cups or menstrual cups help me get pregnant? This is one of the newer embarrassing fertility questions, and the answer to it is no. Conception cups and menstrual cups haven’t been proven to help women conceive.
- Is there a position that will help us have a boy or a girl? Opting for preimplantation genetic testing (PGT) as part of an IVF cycle is the only reliable way.
- What kind of lubricant is ok to use? The FCLV doctors recommend Pre-Seed Fertility Friendly Lubricant or vegetable oil to patients who are trying to welcome a baby.
- Should I stay lying flat after sex to improve my chances of pregnancy? It’s not necessary because sperm can travel to the fallopian tubes rather quickly. However, lying flat for 10-15 minutes after sex won’t hurt.
- Will eating certain foods help me get pregnant? When it comes to a “fertility-friendly diet,” you should strive to eat lots of fruits and veggies, lean meats and complex carbs. Also, try to avoid the sweets and junk food. They can lead to weight gain and carrying extra fat tissue interferes with ovulation.
- Will testosterone make sperm stronger? Contrary to popular belief, taking testosterone doesn’t improve sperm health. In fact, it’s the fastest way to knock sperm levels down to zero. Taking extra testosterone interferes with the controller systems that make sperm and shuts them down.
- Can you have too much sex? This is one of the most-common embarrassing fertility questions. The answer is generally no, but you also don’t need to have sex multiple times a day when you’re ovulating. Every day when you’re ovulating, or every other day is usually sufficient.
- How long should my partner wait before masturbating to get the best sperm? Two to five days is the recommended time to wait before masturbating for sperm collection. A shorter time frame may have a negative impact, while a longer time frame just results in the sample containing more dead sperm that have been stored for too long.
- Can I dye my hair while trying to get pregnant? Yes, just do so in a well-ventilated area.
- Isn’t it gross to do an ultrasound while I’m on my period? Not at all. In some cases, being on your period during an ultrasound can actually make things clearer. The blood doesn’t block anything, and it is often a signal that we are getting the ultrasound at the best time for accurate results. Also, keep in mind that our Las Vegas fertility specialists wouldn’t have gone into this field if menstrual blood bothered them.
- When am I supposed to count bleeding as the first day of my period? The first day of your period is your first day of a full flow. Some spotting doesn’t count.
- Do I have to have an orgasm to get pregnant? As much as we wish the answer were yes, an orgasm is not required to get pregnant. The sperm can reach the egg, regardless of the experience of them getting there.
The FCLV team is here to debunk fertility myths and give you the facts
If you have embarrassing fertility questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to our Las Vegas fertility specialists. There’s nothing we haven’t heard, and we’re happy to share our knowledge with you. Contact us to schedule an appointment to gain more information for your fertility journey.