Handy tips to streamline summer travel and fertility treatment
Do your summer plans include travel? If so, you might be wondering how to balance summer travel and fertility treatment. Whether you want to travel near or far, you don’t necessarily have to put your travel plans on hold when you’re undergoing fertility treatment. Our Las Vegas fertility doctors have some travel tips for our fertility patients.
How to handle appointments and medication during travel
If you’re in the middle of an IVF cycle with our Las Vegas fertility doctors, it might be difficult to travel. After all, it can be hard to make regular monitoring appointments and stick to a medication schedule during travel. However, travel isn’t impossible.
When seeking information about summer travel and fertility treatment, speak to our team and follow these tips to make the process easier and less stressful.
- Get the name of a local fertility doctor. Before you travel, you’ll want to find a reputable fertility specialist near your destination. This doctor can perform routine monitoring and prescribe medication while you’re away. You should also find a local pharmacy and hospital.
- Tell our team about your plans. Make sure to tell our team about your travel plans before you leave. Also, be sure to give them a way to reach you while you’re away, in case of an emergency.
- Stay on track with your medications. You don’t want to miss a dose of your medication. Creating a list of your medications and setting alerts on your phone can help you stick to your schedule.
- Keep medications in your carry-on. If your travel plans include flying, store your medications with you in your carry-on. Doing so will prevent them from getting lost. You should also note which ones need to be refrigerated or kept at room temperature. Before flying, we also recommend getting a signed travel authorization note from your doctor.
- Don’t forget the right medical supplies. You’ll want to make sure you pack all the medical supplies you may need. This includes alcohol wipes, gauze, ice packs and a sharps container.
Summer travel and fertility treatment – Avoiding the Zika virus
The Zika virus is still a concern for fertility patients. You can contract this virus from mosquitoes or sexual contact with an infected person. When a pregnant woman gets this virus, her baby could be born with a small head and intellectual disabilities.
Our Las Vegas fertility doctors urge patients not to travel to Zika-infected areas six months before treatment as well as during fertility treatment and pregnancy. In some cases, our team may have to delay treatment due to a patient’s travel to areas experiencing a Zika outbreak.
The following tips can also help you avoid the Zika virus.
- Read and follow the CDC guidelines and travel advisories
- Don’t travel to areas of the world where Zika is present
- Protect your skin by wearing long-sleeve shirts and pants
- Wear insect repellent designed to keep away mosquitoes
- Use condoms to prevent the spread of the Zika virus
By following these tips for summer travel and fertility treatment, you can stay on track with your treatment and enjoy your summer. Contact our Las Vegas fertility doctors to learn more about how to safely travel during fertility treatments.